Pages

4.29.2012

grow.

They just get me..   | via Pinterest

I may or may not have lost it in church today. Like started out by choking back tears and then the floodworks came. I'm not one to cry very often. When I do, it is usually the result of extreme anger or frustration. This time I couldn't help it. It was a twofold breakdown.

The sermon talked about eternal life and how short our time here is. Stop sweating the things that you think matter that really don't in the grand scheme of life. Stop holding on to things that you will regret on your deathbed. Create a legacy that you would be proud of. This last part is what started the waterworks.

Lately I've been thinking about the legacy of those I've lost. The people I probably was too young and immature to appreciate while they were in my life. The people whose legacy is so grand that almost everyone you meet knows them and has a high respect for them. I worry so much if my life is a life that they would be proud of. I worry that I won't live up to those high standards. This part of the message really set in stone that time is fleeting, so make the most of it.

Dovetailing with that thought of how short our time on earth is is how short my time here with my friends has been. It cannot have been 4 years. Not possible. They've been the most wonderful of my life. I prayed so hard before I got here that God would put amazing people in my life, and he succeeded in doing that in my first week on this sprawling campus. I could have never imagined for myself a group of friends this close and this wonderful. It is so unbelievably hard to see that it is all coming to and end.

I'm starting to see that maybe some people are only in your life for a season to help you grow, some for a lifetime. Some of these people teach you hard lessons, born out of mistakes. Others were put in your life to point you in the right direction and to motivate you. Others are there to hold you hand through the hard times.

I know things will change in the next few months, but I'm so thankful for the people God has placed in my life. I feel like God uses everyone for a purpose to help grow others, and I'm so blessed by those he has placed in my life. Iron sharpens iron. It made this city great, and it is working on me, too.

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post, Angela. You really have been blessed with wonderful friends, friends that will be a part of your life for the rest of your time here. It is sad to be splitting up and heading in different directions, but each of you have more to offer because of how these relationships have helped you grow in so many ways. I know that I am so proud of the young woman you have become. Another chapter awaits.
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela Parmer Duke,

    I am truly blessed to know you. God sometimes works in mysterious ways, and other times he is very obvious. He placed you in my life and from the very first conversation I knew we would be friends! You are such a blessing and these past four years has shaped me into a stronger, better person because I knew you. I look forward to our friendship outside of college and on into adult life :)

    I love you!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...